Looking after yourself - it is essential to provide quality care to your patients:
Getting the balance right in your busy work life is critical and it is important you look after yourself. There are some key things as a doctor you should consider to maintain your own good health, both physically and mentally:
- Have a regular GP
- Maintain your interests outside of medicine - whether it is sport, music, painting, fishing, knitting, whatever it maybe continue to find time to enjoy it.
- Give yourself permission to set limits: Its OK to say no and put yourself and/or your family first
- Healthy diet - we'd say drink less coffee, but we should be realistic in our expectations.
- Connect regularly with family and friends
- Access the services that are designed to understand your needs.